Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun stock wood identification?
Hello everyone this is my first post on the forum. Not that long ago I got an old gun from my grandfather but the stock is dinged a little and not in best of shape. I was going to take this on as one of my first gunsmithing projects but I thought my first thing would be to find out what type of wood it is and decide what to do with it from there. But I seem to be having problems finding any kind of guide on how to identify wood on a gun stock so Im hestitant to do anything.

Do any of you know of a place where I can read accurate information on identifying wood or how to treat different kinds of wood? It would be greatly appreciated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yukon's post:
  • XtremeConditions
Welcome, Yukon! When you get a chance, definitely post a thread in the "Introduce Yourself" section. Wink

I think the first place to start is to just look up the model of your gun. That should get you started in finding out what wood the stock happens to be made of. If that doesn't seem possible, I think a look at this chart might help you.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/ori...41e367.jpg

But honestly, it seems to me, with my limited knowledge of wood types, different finishes etc may actually throw you off unless you're well-versed in identifying different woods. It seems like you'd mainly be interested in not necessarily doing a total "refinishing", but just revive the old stock to look nice again, am I right?

From what I've found, this video might be beneficial to you. Seems like a 1-2-3 easy process. I may try something like this out on my old JC Higgins .22 Magnum (it's in the Picture section). It's looking old and worn and I think this might help recondition it a bit. I've also read that some people like to just keep it simple and use Howard Feed-n-Wax (can be found in basically any hardware store). Others seem to be using an equal parts mix of Linseed oil, beeswax and turpentine, but that seems quite a bit more complicated. I really think the video below will be a great place to start. 

Oh, and here's another cool video using just Linseed Oil. The stock was completely without finish and he got this beautiful result with just a few coats of this stuff. I really couldn't believe it myself. It is a little more involved than the previous method, but it should yield some nice results as shown in the video. 

Yes my intent was to do my best to make the stock look good again. The finish is not totally gone like in the second video but the stock does just look old and like it needs something to give it some flare again. The first example looks really nice and easy and I think that might be my first thing to try. It is a Remington Model 740 Woodsmaster. Thank you for the info.
Ive used the linseed oil method like in the video that XC posted with great results. But only after stripping finish off the stock. The linseed oil is really going to act as a finish. If your wood still has finish on it but has lost its luster I would say go with the first video XC posted. But it's all about expermenting. Consider buying an old beat up gun or even just stock to do some experimenting on. Just like guys buy old worn guns to practice their gunsmithing this would be a great opportunity to try something new and make it your own. Good luck yukon.